There are so many WordPress SEO tips and tricks available online that users can easily get overwhelmed. You may feel like you don’t have time to worry about SEO or think that it can’t really be that important. Don’t make this mistake.
There are currently over one billion websites on the internet, and this number literally increases every minute. If you want visitors to come to your site, you must optimize it so that it can be found.
WordPresse SEO optimization may seem like an insurmountable task, but we are here to help. We’ve outlined the three most important SEO WordPress Tips for 2017 and created a checklist to get you started.
The Top 3 SEO WordPress Tips for 2017
1. Use a WordPress SEO Plugin
There are several WordPress plugins available, with Yoast SEO being the most popular. This plugin provides many optimization features and provides you with extensive control over how search engines see your page. This plugin has some valuable premium features, but the free version is powerful enough for most WordPress users.
2. Create Valuable Content
Search engines no longer tolerate irrelevant content that is created for the sole purpose of increasing site rankings. Every piece of content should be focused on providing real value for your readers. Fail to follow this advice and not only will you be punished by search engines, you will lose the respect of your audience.
3. Don’t Ignore the Importance of Keywords
Before starting to write web content, choose a focus keyword and integrate it into the piece. Google’s quality guidelines warn against the practice of keyword stuffing, so be careful not to overdo it. It takes some skill, but it is possible to write naturally while including selected keywords.
Your Ultimate 2017 WordPress SEO Checklist
Once you’ve mastered these top three tips, you will be ready to take your website to the next level. Use this checklist to help get started.
Web Page Optimization
The overall appearance of your website, use of white space, and indexing ability all have an impact on SEO rankings.
- Choose a great domain name
- Regularly check for broken links
- Use XML and HTML sitemaps for faster indexing
- Make sure your page is mobile-friendly
- Optimize images with alt tags
- Use quality descriptions and meta titles
- Make the most use of the space above the fold
Strong Content Creation
It’s critical to update your content frequently and consistently. If you’re not sure you have the time or the skills, consider using a professional blog writing service to fully optimize each post.
- Use powerful headlines to captivate your readers
- Avoid using duplicate content
- Create URL hyperlinks back to relevant pages within your site
- Add hyperlinks to link outwards to other credible sites
- Regularly include long-form content of 1500 words or more
- Add buttons for users to easily share your content to social media
- Break up content with headlines, bullets, and numbered lists
- Add images and videos to your posts
- Place keywords in the title, description, and H tags
- Edit and proofread your content thoroughly before posting
Speed and usability are important to search engines. There are many services available to help improve the overall function of your site.
- Change permalink defaults to “post name”
- Use meta keywords
- Use tools to optimize your site for page-loading times
- Minimize the use of pop-ups and other distractions
- Use SSL certificates
- test your website across multiple browsers
After reviewing these top SEO WordPress Tips for 2017, you may be concerned about the time needed to implement them. Whether or not you are technologically savvy, outsourcing these tasks can save you a significant amount of time and money. Contact us today to find out how we can help you with your WordPress SEO needs.